Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The Lovin' Spoonful - Daydream (1966)


The Lovin' Spoonful - Daydream (1966)
The Lovin' Spoonful started off as a folk group from the Greenwich section of lower Manhattan. Lead singer John Sebastian was very much the groups main force, writing most of their songs, producing many and even being responsible for distibution and production for a few of their albums. Their output was 'in witht he times', they were described as 'simply the most' and 'the most far out grooves this side of the Atlantic'. Throughout the mid to late 60's they notched up an impressive string of hits including 'Summer In The City', 'Did You Ever Have To Make Up Your Mind', 'Daydream', 'Do You Believe In Magic'.
For quite some time they were only rivaled by The Mamas & The Papas, Peter Paul & Mary and Buffallo Springfield.

Daydream
Written by the groups lead singer John Sebastian in late 1965 in an attempt to rewrite The Supremes 'Baby Love', he gained them a Top 100 #2 record in the summer of 1966. His relaxed poise and impressive use of innuendo alluded the censorship board that this was infact a tale all about the smoking of marijuana! ("Dreamin' bout my bundle of joy")

The infectious tune coupled with carefree, summertime, teenage and fun loving lyrics is what no doubt propelled the song straight up the charts all over the world. In Australia the song was covered and a small hit for the reworking of Johnny O'Keefe's Dee Jays as 'The Rajahs', In England it was covered by everybody from Marianne Faithful to Englebert Humperdink and all over Europe the song was a hit for so many in a plethora of languages. All in all, the song remains a classic.

The Lyrics
What a day for a day dream,
What a day for a day dreamin' boy.
And I'm lost in a day dream,
Dreamin' 'bout my bundle of joy.
And even if time ain't really on my side,
It's one of those days for taking a walk outside.
I'm blowing the day to take a walk in the sun,
And fall on my face in somebody's new mowed lawn.


I've been havin' a sweet dream,
I've been dreamin' since I woke up today,
It's starring me in my sweet dream,
'Cause she's the one that makes me feel this way,
And even if time is passin' me by a lot,
I couldn't care less about the dues you say I got.
Tomorrow I'll pay the dues for dropping my load.
A pie in the face for being a sleepy bull toad.


And you can be sure that if you're feelin right
A day dream will last a long time into the night.
Tomorrow at breakfast you may prick up your ears,
Or you may be dreamin' for a thousand years.

No comments:

Post a Comment